How do I receive traps and notifications?
Handling incoming traps is the job of a "notification receiver".
The Net-SNMP suite include the tool
'snmptrapd' to act in this role.
This can log traps to a file or via the syslog mechanism, forward them
to another notification receiver and/or invoke a specified command
whenever a particular notification is received.
Logging notifications would be done by starting
snmptrapd -Ls 7 (log to 'LOCAL7') (log to syslog using 'LOCAL7')
snmptrapd -f -Lo (log to standard output)
Invoking a command to process a received notification uses one or
traphandle' directives in the configuration file '
A typical configuration might look something like:
traphandle .22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1 /path/to/page_me up traphandle .188.8.131.52.4.1.2021.251.1 /path/to/page_me up traphandle .184.108.40.206.4.1.2021.251.2 /path/to/page_me down traphandle default /path/to/log_it
where 'page_me' and 'log_it' are the command to be run.
Forwarding notifications to another receiver would be done using
forward .220.127.116.11.4.1.8072.4.0.3 10.0.0.1 forward default 10.0.0.2
There's a tutorial with more details on the web site at the snmptrap tutorial
- How do I add a MIB?
- How do I add a MIB to the tools?
- Why can't I see anything from the agent?
- Why doesn't the agent respond?
- I can see the system group, but nothing else. Why?
- Why can't I see values in the <ENTERPRISE> tree?
- The agent worked for a while, then stopped responding. Why?
- Requesting an object fails with "Unknown Object Identifier" Why?
- Why do I get "noSuchName" when asking for "sysUpTime" (or similar)?
- Why do I sometimes get "End of MIB" when walking a tree, and sometimes not?
- How do I use SNMPv3?
- Why can't I set any variables in the MIB?
- Variables seem to disappear when I try to set them. Why?
- Why can't I change sysLocation (or sysContact)?
- I get an error when trying to set a negative value - why?
- I get an error when trying to query a string-indexed table value - why?
- How should I specify string-index table values?
- How do I send traps and notifications?
- How do I receive traps and notifications?
- How do I receive SNNMPv1 traps?
- Why don't I receive incoming traps?
- My traphandler script doesn't work when run like this - why not?
- How can the agent receive traps and notifications?
- How big can an SNMP request (or reply) be?
- How can I monitor my systems (disk, memory, etc)?
- Applications complain about entries in your example 'snmp.conf' file. Why?
- OK, what should I put in snmp.conf?
- How do I specify IPv6 addresses in tools command line arguments?